Thursday, July 8, 2010

Prayer



Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
and let us exalt His name together!
I sought the Lord, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
Psalm 34:3-4

God gave it to us as a gift, and I think sometimes don't realize what an amazing blessing it is!
It is clear in God's Word that prayer is a vital, effective part of the Christian life.

Personally, I have found that it is very easy to get lazy about, but once I start making a point of praying regularly, I get into the habit and do it automatically through out the day. Like many other things (worship, loving people, reading the Bible), you have to just do it, even when you don't feel like it, and your emotions will catch up eventually. 



And this is the confidence that we have toward Him,
that if we ask anything according to His will,
He hears us.
1 John 5:14

Something that I think some people are jumpy about is asking God for "insignificant" things.
It seems that God delights in giving us the desires of our hearts, as long as they aren't contrary to His word, or things that would not be good for us.

I think one of the most important things that God tells us about prayer is that we have to trust Him to answer our prayers--whether it be in the exact way we want Him to, or in another way that is far better. If we're just praying out of duty, assuming that he's not really going to do anything about it, we aren't doing it right!


Confess your trespasses to one another,
and pray for one another, 
that you may be healed.
The effective, fervent prayer
of a righteous man avails much.
James 5:16

2 comments:

Jubilant Wife said...

Right on!
The Bible says, basically, that if we, depraved sinners, delight in giving our children good things, how much more will our Heavenly Fatherly delight in blessing us?

I have been learning a little more recently about trusting God with my prayers... being more faithful, for one thing, and letting Him answer in His own time. Which most often is not mine! And He doesn't always answer Yes. And that takes faith, too. But it is an amazing thing when you were just talking to Him about something and then it is answered yes before you hardly had time to finish your prayer.

Johanna said...

Very good reminders, Suzy! Thanks!

I am so forgetful in this area. :-/