Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years ~ Donald Miller


I loved this book. Not only was it a good wakeup call, but it talks about several things that I have been specifically thinking a lot about lately. 

Donald Miller has written several books--his most popular being Blue Like Jazz. I read it a couple weeks ago, after my sister read it and loved it. (Read her review here.) I liked it, but there were definitely things I disagreed with, and although the overall topics were good, they weren't as impacting to me. Mama read it after I did, and she loved it, so she ordered some more of Donald Miller's books, which included this one.

His writing his amazing. I know several people who aren't fans of his rather odd style, but I love it. He says things in very unusual and beautiful ways. I just want to memorize the whole book! :-) Although he has very different theological views, I think almost everything he said in A Million Miles in a Thousand Years was dead-on. It does have some content, so it is recommended for older readers. (Maybe 14+).

The gist of the book is this: Each of our lives is a story, and we should make the best story we can out of it. It really tied into what I have been thinking about lately, deliberate living. Consciously thinking about what we are doing, where we are headed, how we are impacting the world by what we do every day.

I get so excited just thinking about the book. I want to read it all over again!

Here's a quote from the book--

"Once you live a good story, you get a taste for a kind of meaning in life, and you can't go back to being normal; you can't go back to the meaningless scenes stitched together by the forgettable tread of wasted time."

I highly recommend the book--it is entertaining, convicting, and just plain amazing.

Have you read it? What did you think?

3 comments:

dura mater said...

Good review! I definitely don't agree with everything Donald Miller says, but I think the message of this book could be life-changing. We work hard to write a story that has a good plot, but what sort of story are we writing with our own lives?

LaVonne said...

He has a blog right? I think I am following it right now. I like it too. I will have to check out your giveaway.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate it. Stop by again anytime. I see you too are from the NW. Nice to "meet" you.

Blessings!

Jubilant Wife said...

Maybe I'll be borrowing this sometime soon... :-)